Sunday 16 October 2011

1984 & Brave New World





I've been meaning to download the John Hurt interpretation of Winston Smith in George Orwell's 1984 for some time as I've not seen it since it was released in the eponymous year. However somebody recently uploaded this early British Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasence version and at the same time I learned there's a full length version of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and so I'm posting them both after watching the Orwell.

It's always worth contemplating that both Huxley and Orwell were cut from similar Etonian fabric, were privy to Fabian Society inner secrets and both happened to have written the most prescient totalitarian books ever. You might call that a coincidence but like P.W. Bridgeman I believe a coincidence is what you have left over when one applies a bad theory. More on those slightly inexplicable Orwell and Huxley connections on a previous  post I wrote over here.